Top of page

Leaving your feedback will help us to improve this service.

UKVI - Change your address or your legal representative's details

Start of content

When to use the form

Go To Section
Start of content

When to use the form

Update your address or your legal representative's details

These changes may take slightly longer due to increased demand at peak times.
If you are a migrant living in the UK or your application was made in the UK, you can use this form to:
  • update your home address
  • update your correspondence address
  • update your legal representative's address
  • update your dependant's details
  • (dependants will only be updated if listed on your form. This includes under 18 children and adult dependants)
  • inform us of a change in your legal representation
Unless further information is required, we will aim to update your details within 5 working days of submitting the information online, however this may take slightly longer at peak times. If you submit your notification by post, it will take up to 5 working days from receipt of correspondence.

Who shouldn’t use this form

If you're an accession state worker or in the UK under the Workers Registration Scheme (WRS), you do not need to notify us of an address change.
If you applied under the EUSS scheme, or you are a British National Overseas (BNO) customer, you should update your address using the following self-service link: Update your UK Visas and Immigration account details: Update your UKVI account details - GOV.UK (

Information and evidence you will need

You'll need the following information to submit a change of address or inform us of a change in your legal representation:
  • your full name
  • your date of birth
  • your nationality
  • Home Office Reference Number / Port Number
  • your old postcode
  • your new address
  • your passport, BRP or ARC number
  • your email address
  • your home telephone number
  • your mobile number
  • your legal representatives details
  • the name, date of birth and nationality of any dependants if you need to update their details
Evidence required
You will need to provide a specific photographic identity document and evidence of your new address. These must be the full documents. Evidence of your address must be dated within the last 3 months and must show your full name and address.
You can send digital copies of your evidence documents as a PDF, PNG and JPEG.
Acceptable proof of photographic identity documents are:
  • national passport
  • EEA National Identity card
  • travel Document
  • Biometric Residence Permit
  • Asylum Registration Card (ARC)
  • UK Driving Licence (Photo card only)
  • BAIL201 form
  • official letters issued by the Home Office
Acceptable proof of address documents are (dated within the last 3 months):
If you are staying in accommodation you own or rent, documents you can use to prove your new address are your:
  • bank statements
  • mortgage statements
  • credit card statements
  • Council Tax bills
  • benefit statements
  • utility bills
  • letters from UK government departments
  • rental agreements (this must be the full document, signed by the landlord and tenants)
If you have applied for asylum in the UK and are being provided with accommodation by a UKVI housing partner, such as G4S, Serco, Clearsprings, Migrant Help, Mears or Clearel, you must provide a letter that is:
  • dated within 3 months
  • signed by yourself and the accommodation provider
Accommodation for victims of child abuse or domestic violence
If you are being provided with accommodation by a registered charity or organisation because you have been the victim of child abuse or domestic violence, you must provide a letter from them dated within 3 months.
If you are currently residing in a hotel then you must send us letter that:
  • confirms you are a resident at the hotel which includes your room number and full address
  • is dated within the last 3 months
  • is on letterheaded stationary and signed by the hotel manager.
Accommodation provided by friends or family
If you are residing with a friend of a relative you will also need to provide the following:
  • your photo ID
  • photo ID for the friend or relative
  • a letter from the friend or relative that confirms they are providing you with accommodation, which is signed and dated within the last 3 months
  • a proof of address document for your friend or relative - this must have their full name and address and be dated within 3 months
Changing the address for minors (children under 18)
If your request includes minors you must also provide:
  • photo ID for the minor, or a copy of their birth certificate
  • the parents' photo ID and proof of address, dated within 3 months

Updating someone’s address on their behalf

If you are a legal representative completing this form on someone's behalf, you must provide your client's photo ID, their proof of address and a Letter of Authority, which must be signed within the last 3 months.

Updating a Legal Representative:

To update a legal representative, you must provide your client's photo ID and a Letter of Authority, which must be signed within the last 3 months.
The Letter of Authority must include the following details:
  • your client's full name
  • your client's date of birth
  • your client's signature
  • date your client signed the letter (must be within three months)
  • OISC/SRA number
  • name of the legal representative
  • contact number for the legal representative
  • e-mail address for the legal representative
  • full Business Address of the legal representative either on the letter of authority or separately in a covering letter

Submitting a change of address by post

If you are unable to submit a change of address request online, you can submit a postal application. However, if your request is urgent, please use the online form.

If you do need to submit a change of address by post, by sending the necessary information and copies of the necessary documents listed above, to:
Change of address team
7th floor, Lunar House
40 Wellesley Road

Data Protection

In accordance with the new General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) or the Data Protection Act 2018 data regulations we have updated our Privacy Information Notice

For more information see our  privacy notice and  personal information charter.

The personal information that you enter on this form is used to process your request for the change of your address.  The Home Office is the data controller in relation to the information you provide, and the information will be processed in accordance with the Data Protection Act 2018.  We will only send documents to addresses which we have a record of to help ensure the security of your information.  We may share your personal information with other organisations when the law allows.